Getting your toddler involved in swimming lessons are not only good for water confidence and awareness, but it stimulates your child’s senses and is thought to improve brain and emotional development. Sometimes the whole experience can be overwhelming though! Last month, we started our 4-part survival guide for challenging toddlers by considering your child’s characteristics. Now you understand your child’s personality type, we can share some ways for how to manage their temper.
What is a tantrum?
Tantrums at home are one thing, but in the swimming pool is quite another. They often happen when your toddler is challenging their own independence.
When do tantrums start?
Despite the term “the terrible twos,” temper tantrums can start as early as 12 months and continue beyond age four.
What is challenging behaviour?
Challenging behaviour includes the stomping and screaming and at the more extreme; hitting, biting and kicking. Usually, when a child acts out like this it is due to:
- Frustration / anger over a certain situation
- Feeling unhappy / sad/ insecure- perhaps over the arrival of a new sibling, or a house move for example
- Immaturity: they are too young to know how to calm down / reason; they are too young to know how to express their feelings and emotions in another way
- Tiredness or over-stimulation
- Excess energy that they are unable to burn off
- They enjoy the physical sensation
- They are modelling behaviour
Try to recognise the signs that can contribute towards a tantrum and take steps to eliminate them where possible. Some tantrums will be over before they have even begun, so find the earliest opportunity to quickly move on. This may be easier said than done, but often tantrums can be easily diffused or even avoided if you understand the source. Remember: It is not the toddler that is challenging, it is their behaviour – and once you know what is causing it, you can take the necessary steps to eliminate the triggers.
Need help developing your child’s water confidence and swimming ability? We can help! Contact us today.
See you next month with part-3 of our survival guide for challenging toddlers.
Weronika and the Team at Aquatica Swim Academy.